Services with focus on functions, processes and methodologies
- Monitoring & evaluation
- Sector, thematic and methodological guidelines for policy, programme and project management
- Capacity and organisational development, training
- Technical Assistance / Programme Implementation & Management
- Framework Contract Management
Thematic and sector coverage of our services
- Public sector reform
- Political & Administrative Governance
- Organisational and Capacity Development of Public Institutions
- Local Government & Decentralisation
- Sector-wide approaches and budgetary support
- Public Expenditure Management
- Support to National Authorising Officer
- Support to Programme Management Units
- Support to Central Contract and Finance Units
- Fund Management
Social and Human Development
- Support to Civil Society Organisations (Non-State-Actors)
- Human Rights and Democracy
- Governance & Justice
- Social Sector Policy
- Gender and Minorities
- Food Aid and Food Security
- Water and Sanitation
- Rehabilitation & post-conflict development
- Support to Small and Medium-sized Enterprises
- Local Economic Development
- Capacity Development of Private Sector Support Institutions
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Financial Services (Micro, Rural, SME Finance)
- Regional Integration
Regional, Rural and Local Development
- Poverty reduction and livelihood programmes
- Regional and local development planning
- Community development, empowerment and local self-organisation
- Agricultural production systems
Environment and Natural Resources
- Climate Change
- Sustainable management of land & forest resources
- Land/soil degradation & desertification
- Environmental regulations, legislation and enforcement
- Environmental communication and awareness building
- Environmental impact assessments and monitoring
Evaluation from a conceptual point of view
At a conceptual level regarding evaluation, from 2002-2006 Particip has been implementing a service contract for the design, the implementation and the dissemination of evaluation techniques and tools adapted to the European Commission`s development aid and co-operation policies relating to third countries, covering:
- The development of a consistent series of guidelines for evaluators and evaluation managers applying to evaluation of aid strategies at the level of countries and regions, sectoral or thematic evaluations, evaluation of aid projects (European Commission - EuropeAid - Evaluation - Methodology - Guidelines or under European Commission - EuropeAid - Evaluation - Methodology )
- The development of support material for evaluators and evaluation managers for sector/thematic evaluations comprising among others the development of evaluation questions, criteria and indicators for the following sectors/issues: Education, Human Rights, Democratisation and Rule of Law, Water and sanitation, Rural development, Transport, Health. Each sector comprised the following documents:
- Major evaluation questions, judgement criteria and indicators in the sector
- Delineation of the sector
- Summary of EC sector policy for third countries
- Summary of other donors` policies in the sector
- Impact diagrams and description of the causal means-end relationships
- Sectoral glossaries and examples of good practices of use of tools in evaluations
Capacity building & training
Developing methodologies and guidelines for improving policy and project performance
Particip disposes of a broad experience in training and capacity building by the management of contracts aiming to develop methodologies and guidelines for improving policy and project quality:
- Particip is acting as consortium partner in the project Methodological support and training for project and programme management in EC cooperation (2011-2013), developing methodological support (including guidance and various analytical/planning tools), seminars, training and other capacity-building activities.
- From 1999 to 2002, Particip coordinated the training and help-desk-services for developing and strengthening Project Cycle Management (PCM) methodology in the development co-operation of the European Commission. The main target for applying the PCM-methodology was to ensure a high quality standard during the project cycle from programming to identification through implementation to monitoring and evaluation. More than 170 PCM training courses (1-5 days each) were conceived, implemented and assessed (incl. evaluation courses) and helpdesk advice was provided to EC senior staff on PCM: QA of logframes and all kinds of documents (policy, programming, project level). A new PCM-Manual & PCM-Handbook were drafted, as well as logframe analysis & scoring tools.
- Between 1999 and 2002, Particip co-ordinated the Program of Reinforcement of Decentralized Cooperation (PRECOD). In this context we provided services such as the development of tools for the implementation of the approach and training modules on decentralised cooperation.
Besides these important perennial contracts Particip has implemented and is implementing an important number of short and long term training courses in Project Cycle Management and related thematic fields. Many specific trainings were delivered through the Framework Contracts EuropeAid/123314/C/SER/multi Commission Lot 6: Training and EuropeAid/129783/C/SER/Multi Lot 2: Communication and Training.
Technical Assistance / Programme Implementation & Management Reinforcement of administrative and management structures of partner organisations Another major activity of Particip in the field of capacity building is the reinforcement of National Authorising Officers (NAO) in EC cooperation countries, being the bodies in charge of the execution of all EC funded projects and programmes in terms of organisational structure, general management, infrastructure, staff capacities and strategic development. In this field, Particip has been providing long term technical assistance with both international and national consultants in Ghana (2003-2006), Papua New Guinea (2005-2009), Senegal (2006-2008), Swaziland (2007-2008), Mali (2008-2010), Sudan (2008-2011) and Jamaica (2008-2014).
Principles of our training programmes
For all our training programmes, the following principles help us to achieve a sustainable learning effect:
- Training is expected to change behaviour
- Training is a process, not an isolated event
- Training must be part of a strategy of human capital formation and human resource development
- Training demands conviction, concrete support and demonstrative collaboration of the leading personnel
- Training must inspire and motivate
- Training must be tailor-made to reflect professional background, age, educational level, position, and desires and needs of participants
- Training must integrate efficiency and personal satisfaction, formal planning and creativity, result/action orientation and human relationships
Technical assistance & programme implementation
Reinforcement of administrative and management structures of partner organisations
Another major activity of Particip in the field of capacity building is the reinforcement of National Authorising Officers (NAO) in EC cooperation countries, being the bodies in charge of the execution of all EC funded projects and programmes in terms of organ- isational structure, general management, infrastructure, staff capacities and strategic development. In this field, Particip has been providing long term technical assistance with both international and national con- sultants in Ghana (2003-2006), Papua New Guinea (2005-2009), Senegal (2006-2008), Swaziland (2007-2008), Mali (2008-2010), Sudan (2008-2011) and Jamaica (2008- 2014).
Support to Civil Society Organisations (Non-State-Actors)
Particip has a long track record of experience in supporting Civil Society Organisations (Non-State-Actors).
Particip implemented the Technical Assistance Management Unit for the Component "Non-State Actors" for the Support Programme to the National Programme of Good Governance (PAPNBG) in Senegal (2007-2011) aiming at supporting the role of NSAs in society, in partnership with public authorities, and reinforcing professional capacities and internal partnerships of NSAs.
In 2008, we started to implement the project 'Provision of a Programme Support Unit for the "Non-State Actors Capacity Building Programme" in Botswana' (2008-2012). In 2012 the 3 year project "Technical assistance for the programme to support the strengthening of civil society in Haiti" started.
Technical assistance for the implementation of the Institutional Strengthening for Social and Economic Development programme
In 2009 and 2010 we provided 85 expert months support to the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis to implement the National Adaptation Strategy, thereby facilitating an effective and sustainable transition to a 'post-sugar' society. The Programme contributed to Government capacity to coordinate development partner support in the furtherance of national goals.
Technical Advisor to the Poverty Reduction Programme II
From 2009 to 2013 we manage a grant contract in Jamaica which mainly includes socio-economic projects, capacity building and training for communities, organisational strengthening of the Social Development Commission, Non-State Actor Capacity Building and Short Term Technical Assistance.
IPA - project preparation facilities and technical assistance for the reinforcement of administrative capacity
The overall objective of the project (2009-2012) is to enhance and reinforce the Serbian capacities in the context of the EU pre-accession process and the management of the IPA. The project supports the relevant Serbian authorities in preparing strategic and programming documents in accordance with the EU requirements and procedures.
Framework contract management
Particip is currently involved in various EU framework contracts, either as the consortium-lead company or as partner. Our success rate is illustrated by more than 800 short-term assignments conducted to date.
Particip's FWCs at a glance:
EC Framework Contract Services for the Implementation of External Aid 2018 (FWC SIEA 2018)
- Lot 1: Sustainable management of natural resources and resilience (consortium leader), together with Cardno Belgium in the CAPA EEIG
- Lot 3: Human Rights, Democracy and Peace (consortium leader)
- Lot 4: Human Development and safety net
- Lot 5: Budget Support
- Lot 6: Innovative financing for Development
EC Framework Contract Commission 2015
FWC EIDHR Lot 2 - Support to electoral missions (consortium leader)
FWC Migration Lot 1 Irregular migration (partner)
FWC Migration Lot 2 Legal migration (partner)
The consortia in which we are involved - either as lead company or as partner - comprise recognised consulting firms with complementary fields of expertise and geographical focus.
Our staff are trained to manage the implementation of short-term assignments in a wide range of technical and methodological fields. This includes providing support to individual experts while responding to Requests for Services, and smooth and timely management and quality assurance of all contractual, technical and financial issues.